On this Sunday, November 11th, 2018, it is Veterans Day and marks the solemn occasion of the Armistice Day Centennial. “… observed the ceasefire agreement in World War I in 1918 on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. That day would eventually become Veterans Day.”
By the way, if you have not seen before, be sure to check out The United States World War One Centennial Commission website. I’m including this 2018 November 11 partial screenshot of their landing page right now.
Veterans Day 2018 Pictorial Postmark
The Veterans Day 2018 Pictorial Postmark is for the General Patton Memorial Museum Veterans Day; date of November 11, 2018. It is available for requesting for the next 30 days. Details for ordering are available at the USPS Postal Bulletin Issue 22506 11-8-18.
For this next part, my sincere thanks to my local stamp club buddy, Jimmy, for our emails looking at yesterday and today’s pictorial postmark dates.
In looking at the two 100th Armistice Anniversary Pictorial Postmarks in my blog post yesterday, each has the date of November 10th. “How” the selecting dates for Pictorial Postmarks work exactly is still a mystery. To net it out, the envelope cachet design for today’s date I’ll be sending off will recognize both Veterans Day 2018 and the 100th Anniversary of Armistice so that it has November 11th as its pictorial postmark cancel date.
Wreaths Across America
You will also want to read about the WAA upcoming December 1, 2018 event. Furthermore, this is in addition to their upcoming National Wreaths Across America Day on December 15, 2018.
“Today, Wreaths Across America is beyond thrilled to announce that it has been granted permission by the French authorities, on the basis of phytosanitary guarantees provided by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to place 9,387 Maine-made, balsam veterans’ wreaths on Saturday, Dec. 1, 2018, on the headstones of all U.S. service members laid to rest at Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial, located in Colleville-sur-Mer, France.” ….
- Turning The Tide WW1 Collectible Cachets 10-02-2018
- “USPS Select 2018 Stamps include World War I Turning the Tide Forever Stamp” 01-07-2018
- On November 11th Veterans Day 2017, 11-11-2017
- 1948 Moina Michael The Poppy Lady stamp 5-28-2017
- WWI Letters Dear Boys In Service by Frank Skidmore 4-09-2017
- Smithsonian National Postal Museum World War I Letters Exhibit 4-08-2017
- Dear Leona by Frank Skidmore 1-22-2017
- Veterans Day – November 11, 2016, 11-11-2016
- Great War Picture Postcards 1914-1918 7-01-2016
- Veterans Day – November 11, 2015, 11-11-2015
- Semper FI & Sesame Street 11-10-2015
- “In Flanders Fields” 5-23-2015
It is not too late for sending American Greetings Free Veterans Day eCards (11-09-2018) in case you meant to do so today.
As I’m closing today’s post, my sincere thanks to veterans and families!
Attribution & Thank you to the following I’m referencing today for my daily blog post encouraging letter writing –
USPS Postal Bulletin, Image USPS
US WWI Centennial Commission website
Wreaths Across America